Sunday, July 10, 2016

Long drought over

No, not rain.  We still need rain.  

This drought is a bird drought - my Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) drought.  Last Saturday evening, the 2nd, while looking for dragonflies, I was surprised to see one sneak into the phagmites surrounding a degraded little pit in the Wallpatch unit of Point Moo.  I returned on Monday morning, the 4th, and was rewarded with seeing three.  


Above and below:  During my first pass I saw one.


Upon my return from the Vermet Unit and just before leaving, I found three.  I wasn't able to get all three in one photo, but I did get two.  I thought they all appeared to be juveniles.  





The Wallpatch unit is an area that I don't think many birders bother with.  The little habitat the V. rails were in was horrible, but they seemed to be finding food while pecking around in the mud and the high phragmites provided plenty of cover for them.  I didn't see many dragonflies, but these guys were my reward for my July 4th Point Moo death march. Heard many times, but it's been years since the last time that I saw Virginia Rail.  This was nice.  

No comments: