Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Probably not a Canada Darner

No not in Michigan.  Just returned from a trip to Bonner's Ferry, Idaho where the Log Inn had a man-made pond.  On the evening of our arrival the sun lit up the southern end of the pond.


A single darner was patrolling the edges that, using the small, travel-friendly Stokes Beginner's Guide to Dragonflies, I initially identified at Canada Darner (Aeshna canadensis).  Just as I was checking Paulson's Dragonflies and Damselflies of the West, I received Darrin O'Brien's comment below.


Blooming pink water lilies were beautiful.


The darner never perched.  


Above and below:  I did my best to get these flight photos.



I've been photographing dragonflies all summer with little diversity of what I've been able to find.  Need to work on that but finally, in Idaho, a blue dragonfly that is definitely not an pondhawk or a dasher.  But what?  Will submit photos to the link that Darrin suggests below.

09/08/16 addendum:  They are quick responders at Odonata Central.  Jim Johnson has confirmed the identification of Shadow Darner (Aeshna umbrosa) as Darrin suggested.

No comments: