Thursday, May 21, 2009

RITZbew!

Yesterday evening I went looking for the shorebirds Julie writes about in her Net Results update.  I arrived at the pond around 7:00 pm and all of the shorebirds had either left or were elsewhere in the rocky and weedy field.  With nice south winds to carry them they may have just decided to make their departure.  Julie thought that the south winds, good for continuing migration, had generally cleared most migrants out of the area.

From here I drove to the channeled Rouge River off Rotunda Drive to look for the odd lingering migrant or new potential nesters.


It's possible that this Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii) is just passing through, but he was in perfect Willow habitat and they do occasionally nest along the channel. 


RRRITZbeyew!


Several Yellow Warblers (Dendroica petechia) were around and they do nest here.


With its big black eyes, bright yellow plumage and bold red breast streaks, this common warbler gets overlooked.  However, for me this evening, their sweet sweet sweet little more sweet song was welcome.

This area is usually good for Baltimore Orioles (Icterus galbula) and Eastern Kingbirds (Tyrannus tyrannus), but I found only two of each.


I saw this Green Heron (Butorides virescens) fly into a tall, distant dead tree.  I like the photo because of the open position of the bird's bill.


Brown-headed Cowbirds (Molothrus ater) - no matter where you bird in Michigan, there is no shortage of these guys.

Finally, I did see my first green darners (Anax sp.) (that I can recall anyway; I know they've been around for awhile) and my first Monarch (Danaus plexippus) butterfly of the season.  

No comments: