Sunday, May 15, 2011

NAMC 2011

Wilson's Warbler (Wilsonia pusilla) at Belle Isle

The only warbler, of the twenty-one species counted for the day, that gave me any chance of a photograph.  My biggest surprise at Belle Isle was seeing a Yellow-breasted Chat, my first ever for the park.


The Grasshopper Sparrow above and the Upland Sandpiper below are two of the three reasons counting at Willow Run Airport in western Wayne County for the NAMC is worthwhile.  The other is Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus), but none of the seven I counted cooperated for a photo.

While Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus pusilla) is found at Willow Run all years, I think this may be the first time I have actually found one on count day.


I like this shadowy photo of the Upland Sandpiper (Bartramia longicauda) walking through the tall grass. This bird was upright while its companion was bent over much lower to forage.  I'm lucky I found them. Neither bird vocalized.  The infield of the airport is large and the birds could have been anywhere.  For this NAMC, I got lucky and they were near the fence.

Cool, overcast and with spotty rain all day, our first mid-May NAMC in several years could have used a bit of sun to help identify small, flitting birds in the treetops.  Nevertheless, it seems to have been successful overall.  For the day, I found a total of 82 species in my count areas.  

No comments: