Saturday, June 4, 2011

Departure

A couple of photos from Memorial Day weekend birding done locally. On Sunday, May 29th I went with Harold Eyster and Diana Newman to LeFurge Woods Nature Reserve and to the Cherry Hill Nature Reserve to look for Yellow-breasted Chat.


We remained chatless, but we did find this rather early Giant Swallowtail (Papillo cresphontes), which had already experienced a major mishap, flying next to the road around the Cherry Hill reserve. We ended our morning with breakfast at the Flim Flam Restaurant on Plymouth Road in Ann Arbor.


On Memorial Day morning I went to the Ford Estate Woods behind the U of M - Dearborn campus to see if the Connecticut Warbler found by Julie Craves and Darrin O'Brien on Sunday had remained overnight.  It had not.  But I did see this hefty beast, American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana), casually resting on log over the lake.  It is difficult to assess the frog's size in this photo, but I would guess that it was about the size of a small dinner plate.

I depart for Bulgaria on Monday, June 6th and this will be my last blog entry until I return.  I hope I've prepared adequately for the trip and that I'm able to take a lot of photos that I will be able to share here when I return.  Иска ми късмет.

No comments: