Monday, September 17, 2012

Some end of summer butterflies

I was surprised yesterday afternoon when, having lunch on my back yard patio, a worn Giant Swallowtail (Papilio cresphontes) flew across my yard.  A Cabbage White (Pieris rapae) spent most of the afternoon fluttering around.  I've done next to no butterflying at all this summer. But recently I have been keeping my eyes open, expecially after finding the Checkered-Skipper below in my yard on Labor Day.

Common Checkered-Skipper (Pyrgus communis) found
in my garden, 09/03/2012

Common Checkered-Skipper

Common Checkered-Skipper

Abundant now, fresh Common Buckeye (Junonia coenia),
09/09/2012

Common this year, Fiery Skipper (Hylephila phyleus),
09/09/2012 

Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius), 09/09/2012

Worn male Fiery Skipper, 09/16/2012.  So common this year,
this special butterfly was found in my garden. Another surprise.

No comments: