Monday, July 24, 2017

Belle Isle redux

A quick run to my favorite place yesterday morning.  I only had about an hour or so to look around before I joined a picnic a friend was giving.


This young Green Heron (Butorides virescens) flew over the middle of the tennis court stream and perched in the dead tree next to the road. Belle Isle has had a good green heron year.


Along this same stream male Blue Dashers (Pachydiplax longipennis) were numerous.


As it turned out, while not quite so numerous as blue dashers, tiny Eastern Amberwings (Perithemis tenura)  were also plentiful.  A couple of weeks ago, I spent so much time on a single EA percher.  Today I had choices at every waterside I visited.


I was intrigued by this patroller - some kind of mosaic darner I think - but the above shot is the best bad photo of all my attempts.


This beautiful male Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa) was at the edges of the northeast end of Lake Okonoka.

From here I went to my friends picnic which also offered an opportunity to kayak - which I enjoyed doing in the, very weedy, fishing lake.  It was my first time.  I loved kayaking and also observed that Halloween Pennants spend a lot of time flying over the middle of the lake.  


No comments: