Thursday, March 22, 2018

Special bird on nest

Seeing this bird was a great surprise.  Two or three days earlier some in the group had seen a male Lyre-tailed Nightjar fly from one tree to another in the deep dusk of evening.  I blinked and missed seeing that bird, but we also got to hear it.  Here, near Mashpi and right at the gated entrance of the Nat Geo lodge, was a female sitting on her nest.  I must have taken 20 photos, basically all the same.  Here are a few of those.   


Female Lyre-tailed Nightjar (Uropsalis lyra)



I admit the noisy diesel truck engine is an unpleasant distraction, but the bird does not seem to mind during this 41 second video, so I try to not to let it bother me either.



This was near Masphi at the gates of the National Geographic lodge that is so expensive and exclusive.  The nest was actually perfectly placed on one of the stone structures supporting the gate into the Nat Geo lodge and was covered from the rain as well.

No comments: