Thursday, July 26, 2018

Dragonflies on Tilghman Island

Visiting a new geographical area presents challenges for me, as a novice, to make dragonfly identifications.  But it's also exciting because it presents opportunities to see new species.  I forgot my quick and easy little Stokes guide for beginners which focuses on species that will be seen most commonly. So I am using Dennis Paulson's tome - a book I love, but not exactly for the novice - for ID challenges.  All of the photos below were taken from the roadside edge of the 1/3 mile long private Willy Roe road and Rude Ave. in the clean, fishless little drainage ditches running along the edge of the road.

Many prior blog entries I've made have already discussed that photographs alone are terrible identification sources for many dragonflies - and Paulson's book bears this out - so here goes.


First challenge Red (Tramea onusta) vs. Carolina (T. carolina) saddlebags.  In this season, these are fliers not perchers so the flight photograph above is probably the best I will get.  Both species are found on Maryland's Eastern shore.  Based on Paulson's habitat description, I'm going to guess that I am seeing Red Saddlebags.  Also, Paulson's book suggests that the Red's saddlebags are more subtle than the Carolina's and this seems to be the case for the species I'm seeing here.  If indeed T. onusta, would be a first for me.


Above and below:  A mystery still to be determined.


Mystery solved in the following post.


Seen everywhere I've ever looked for dragonflies - male Blue Dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis).  Pretty little thing, but very common.


Above and below:  Also beautiful, female Blue Dasher.  ID'ing the female can fool you.



I've been looking unsuccessfully in Michigan for this dragonfly the past two summers.  I had to come to Maryland to find one.  Initially I put this off as a Halloween Pennant (Celithemis eponina). I was more focused the Wandering Gliders (Pantala flavescent), a dragonfly I love, and did not pay enough attention to this dragonfly other than to snap three quick shots (above was the best) before again looking for a perched Wandering Glider.  It was not until I downloaded my photos that I realized I had seen my first ever Painted Skimmer (Libellula semifasciata).


Also common everywhere I go, male Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis).  Take note of the distinct white cerci and remember these when I get to E. pondhawk in the next post.


Another exciting little mystery, above and two below, but I hope I've nailed it - Golden-winged Skimmer (L. auripennis) vs. Needham's Skimmer (L. needhami) - and, either way, a new dragonfly for me.


My call is Golden-winged Skimmer but I'll submit to Odonata Central for the regional expert's ID call.

*Addendum added 07/30/18: Identity left unconfirmed by regional expert Mike Moore with the following decision note: I don't think this individual can be 100% ID'ed from these photos. It has a bright proximal costal vein consistent with GW, but the thoracic pattern has faded too much on this individual. There is a hint of Needham's pattern there but it is hard to be certain. Legs look dark as expected for GW, but hard to be sure. I would go 90% certain this GW, but not enough to confirm. Better photos of the side of the thorax and legs would help, but these older individuals are tough.



 Above:  The other mystery solved in the next post.

Not too bad for a 1-1/2 hour walk down the road on the Tilghman Island.

No comments: