Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Non-native and potentially invasive

Bummer!



Both photos taken with my iPhone.  I'm a brand new user of iNaturalist.  Yesterday I posted the photos above and this morning got my ID:  Blackberry Lily (Iris domestica).   I thought with a name like this it was surely a native flower.  Nope.  Native to east Asia.

So disappointed because it is such charming little flower.  I found them under my spicebush at the head of my pondless waterfall yesterday.  I knew I didn't plant them.  The stalk creates a seedpod that is present in  fall and winter.  Apparently, one or more of the robin visitors to my pond dropped a few seeds that took hold.

My yard is not completely native but I am trying to keep it as native as is possible; despite living in a non-native heaven area of the state    Just planted a couple of new coneflowers and some Anise hyssop yesterday.    

No comments: