Saturday, July 13, 2024

Butterflies

In the past couple of years I have become so wrapped up in photographing and learning the identifications of damselflies and dragonflies, the photos of which I post to Odonata Central, I have not paid much attention at all to butterflies.  This year I have noticed quite a few flying.

Here are some very recent perchers, that I could not pass by.  Wild Indigo Duskywing was seen in SE Michigan and the rest seen at Cedar Bog in Urbana, Ohio.


Above and below:  Wild Indigo Duskywing (female) (Erynnis baptisiae)
Kaufmann, pages 286-287, 2003.



Silver-spotted Skipper (Epargyreus clarus) with silver spot hidden in this wing position.  Plentiful on this day.


Northern Pearly Eye (Enodia anthedon)

This butterfly landed on an interior leaf.  I wish my odonate photographs turned out this well when shooting though leaves.  Nevertheless, when I went to Kaufman, pages 238-239, I still could not quite match it up with his images.  It seems like it should be easy.  Corrections are welcome.  


 Duke's Skipper (Euphyes dukesi)

Same with the skipper I am identifying as Duke's.  Kaufmann, pages 334-335, 2003.  I used to be somewhat good at butterflies and skippers, but the cliche rings true; if you don't use it, you lose it. 

Add-ons:  


Above and below:  7/20/2024 Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus) in my backyard



Above and below:  7/21/2024 Black Dash (Euphyes conspicua) from Murray Lake Club.  I believe I have this skipper correctly identified.  All corrections are welcome.



Above:  7/23/2024 Spicebush Swallowtail (Papilio troilus).  Many years ago I planted a spicebush at the head of my pondless waterfall.  That I know of, this is the first Spicebush Swallowtail to visit it.  A little beat up, but a welcome sight.


Above and below:  7/24/2024 Least Skipper (Ancyloxypha numitor) at Crosswinds Marsh.



Above:  7/24/2024 Black Dash (Euphyes conspicua) in one of Crosswinds Marsh's butterfly gardens.  The photo is dark and this skipper appears different from the skipper above, but I think it is a female Black Dash.  Corrections welcome.  





No comments: