Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Spider anyone?

Early Saturday morning, I left my house to walk to a neighbor's and something caught my eye against the wall of my garage.  I stopped.  Ahhh, a spider.  It was somehow attached by a single thread of webbing.  I took these three photos with my iPhone and left it alone.  
 



Later I entered the photos in iNaturalist and the mostly likely ID was Cross Orb Weaver spider.  Further on-line searching revealed that there are cross orb weaver spiders of many appearances.  The white cross on this spider is easily apparent on the top half of the bottom end.  There is also a smaller, dark cross just above the white cross on the top end.  I don't know spider anatomy to describe it better.  Click on the photo to enlarge and you will easily see this.  Middle photo is the best focused.  

This spider came to a sad end.  It was in the exact same spot on Sunday morning.  It was not moving.  Whatever its hanging attachment was, it did not seem to allow the spider to move adequately.  It was then exposed to the cold, or could not catch food and died in the nighttime.

I always need to remember to crop iPhone photos to make them compatible with a site like Google blogger.

No comments: