Sunday, May 21, 2017

Rainy Belle Isle morning

As I drove to the woodland trail I noticed a few small drops of rain on my windshield.  As soon as I stepped out of the car, the heavens opened up.  Umbrella in hand, camera wrapped inside raincoat, I decided to soldier on.  

On the trail, I saw three other crazy birders - Jim Bull, Larry Urbanski and another birder whose name I didn't know.     


When I thought I would not get a single bird photo, I took this photo of, I think, a species of honeysuckle.  I was hoping it was spicebush.  No such luck.


My first bird photo was of this robin on her nest.  Every single time I've observed a robin on her nest I am always struck by what great parents they are.  The male bird was nearby.


She's using her wings to cover the basket of the nest to protects both eggs or nestlings and the nest itself.  In the top photo it easy to see how the rain has made the nest a little soggy.  Nevertheless, robins generally build a sturdy nest.


Swainson's Thrush


Adult male American Redstart singing.


A little further on a first spring male redstart was also singing.

I may have one more day of migration birding in Michigan at the end of next week.  However, tomorrow morning I am off to Annapolis, Maryland to attend the graduation of my best friend's son from the Naval Academy.  I've been to Annapolis many times, but never to the Naval Academy.  There is a week of festivities that we are all looking forward to.  The icing on the cake is that my friend's son is a great kid and is graduating in the top 100 from a class of 1,000.

I'll try to squeeze in a hour or two of birding somewhere, too.  

No comments: