Monday, June 20, 2022

Left behind

I went to Belle Isle this afternoon to look for dragonflies.  Turns out it was not a good day for them - I saw two - both fliers and there were no features that allowed me to identify in flight.

I had to put my binoculars up to see the slightly different appearing duck that was placidly swimming in the western end of Lake Tacoma.       


Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)

This time of year I think of ruddy ducks breeding grounds as well west of us in the prairie potholes of North and South Dakota where I have seen them in early June.  But apparently they also breed in more nearby parts of southern Ontario as well as in Wisconsin (Peterson guide range map).  


I only saw this one male paddling about, but wouldn't it be great if there was a breeding pair and the female was on the nearby smallest island of Lake Tacoma incubating her eggs.


Also, and of note, I thought Ruddy Duck would be an add-on species, but it is a listed species in southeastern Michigan eBird for this time of year.




Charming little duck and a pleasure to see in its breeding plumage.  I apologize for the poor quality photos.  I was only carrying my dragonfly camera today.


I spent some time picking up trash and came across this plastic container along the eastern edge of Lake Tacoma.  

Overall, Belle Isle was looking good today - the first time I feel I can say this in quite a long time.  Breathe a sigh of relief with the last of the Grand Pris car races now behind us.  The end of a dreadful era.
Being Monday, and somewhat overcast, it was not at all busy and was as I have really enjoyed the park in the past.  I noticed that the state of Michigan has cleaned up quite a bit - this was probably because of the race - but there is still a lot going on and, of course, there is the irreparable damage to the forests.  Hopefully, they will be done and out of the park soon and for good. 

No comments: