Monday, June 20, 2022

Not many dragonflies

I went to a little retention pond that has been present for several years.  It was made when a beautiful grassland was destroyed to make a parking/storage lot for Ford F150 trucks.  Yay!  Another feather in the cap of mankind.  I was curious to see what kind of dragonflies may have moved in to the weedy surroundings.   The answer is not many - but, there were a few.  A single male blue dasher, a couple of black saddlebags flying, a few green darners flying, mating and ovipositing.  


Teneral individual appears to be a Black Saddlebags (T. lacerata) - unfortunately, not a good photo.
 

Ovipostiting Green Darner

Above and below:  Northern Rough-winged Swallow


I don't know why I was surprised to see rough-winged swallow.  I only saw one, but it acted like it was protecting territory.  At one point it was in vigorous pursuit of a killdeer who perhaps got too close to a nest.      

No comments: