Monday, April 24, 2023

More Andaman Island birds

Not the typical birding trip one expects to have.  As I have written, there was a lot going on.  We saw a lot of birds, but we missed a lot too. You will never see them all, but it was a lot of fun trying.  To end my south India and Andaman Islands trip report and mostly without additional commentary, here are a few more good birds from the Andamans.

Above and below:  Green Imperial Pigeon (Ducala aenea)


Dollarbird (Eurystomus orientalis) - widespread in many countries


Whimbrel (Nemenius phaeopus) - yes, that's a Whimbrel.  Eurasian Curlew (N. arguata) is also a winter visitor to the Andamans.


Pacific Golden Plover (Pluvialis fulva)

Above and below:  Pacific Reef Egret (Egretta sacra)


Photo series:  Evening silhouette of crow attacking White-bellied Sea Eagle.



Above:  Flyby of the attacked White-bellied Sea Eagle.  I have other photos but none of good quality and I thought the one above was the most interesting.   

Above and below:  Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatas)



Backlit male Greater Racket-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus paradiseus)


Above and below:  Olive-backed Sunbird (Cinnyris jugularis)



Everywhere you go the Red-whiskered Bulbul (Pycnonotus jocosus) will be there too.


White-headed Starling (Sturnia erythropygia)


Common Sandpiper (Actitis hypoleucos)


Non-breeding Pheasant-tailed Jacana (Hydrophasianus chirurgus)


Long-toed Stint (Calidris subminuta)


True confession:  Now I can't tell which is which.  Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) and Pin-tailed Snipe (Gallinago stenura).  The Princeton guide does not help me feel secure in my guess.  I recall Pin-tailed and Common snipes in the same field of view being called out. More research needed.  



Above and below:  Chinese Pond Heron (Ardeola bacchus).  I like the photo below because the bird is in completely different habitat.  It also shows how dry everything is.



Above and below:  Freckled-breasted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos macei analis) formerly Spot-breasted Woodpecker.



Juvenile White-bellied Sea Eagle (Haliaeetus leucogaster)


The ever present Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis)


Last morning photo of White-throated Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnenis)


The beautiful Emerald Dove (Chalcophaps indica)

I began my trip report with the first entry on April 8th.  Now, on April 24th, and 16 entries in all, I have finally fully reported on my 2023 trip to south India and the Andaman Islands.  In time, I might do another "Can you find the bird?" post of photos taken where it's tricky.  Until then, this is ... 

... The End!  

No comments: