Monday, May 15, 2023

Sparrow identification help needed

Update:  05/19/23:  The opinions of two friends who know much more than I do are in.  One friend gently humored my Baird's sparrow ID, but then got right to the point as did my other friend.  The bird is a Savannah sparrow. 

I submitted this photo to Merlin Bird ID and the following potential matches were contributed:  bobolink, grasshopper sparrow, henslow's sparrow and savannah sparrow.  I'm not convinced with these matches although I can see the potential for grasshopper sparrow.    

Apologies for my less than optimal photo.  I had two chances; the first was out-of-focus and the second is below.  The location was a largish, weedy wildflower field surrounded by a massive new housing development in Celina, Texas, about 40-45 miles directly north of Dallas.  Date: Saturday, 04/29/23.  Also seen here were western kingbirds and scissior-tailed flycatchers.  Would welcome any help with this identification.  Click on the photo to enlarge.    


Above:  Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis).  My guess of migrating Baird's sparrow (Ammodramus bairdii) was magical thinking. 

No comments: