Tuesday, June 20, 2023

LeFurge preserve and tree swallows

After all of the relatively recent discussion about removal of the invasive species, buckthorn, I was curious to see how LeFurge was looking.  Not because of the buckthorn removal, but because I had not been there in quite some time.  Many years?  I thought it was fine that buckthorn had been removed, but overall I was sort of disappointed.  I just took one lap around the marsh area and the cattails had grown in so thickly that it was impossible to view or get near the ponds.  From the top of the hill I could see that the ponds were a fraction of their former size.  

Didn't see much there - of course, it was hot and sunny.  But tree swallows never disappoint, especially this nestling with its head sticking out.  Its parents were nearby.  

The photos loaded backwards, but it doesn't matter.  The final two photos are of a different nest box.







Driving in, two green herons flew overhead.  I probably should have visited the pond across the street, but I didn't know how to do that without walking along the road - definitely a dangerous thing to do along Prospect Road.

No comments: