Monday, February 23, 2015

How could I forget? Resplendent Quetzal!

I jumped the gun with our second morning Golden-browed Chlorophonia experience and forgot our Tuesday morning Resplendent Quetzal (Pharomachrus mocinno) experience.


This was an early morning birding fest with every birding group staying at Savegre gathered in a tiny woodland opening.  When we arrived there was already a group present and watching the quetzals.
Following our arrival a steady stream of birders joined us - possibly as many as 30 or so birders were there when the birds were the most active.  The very early morning light was not great and I struggled with my photos.  But they are, hand-over-fist, better than the shots that I got last year.  This year I also took some brief videos.  



I like the way the tail is crossed.


The small green head, beady eye and little yellow beak are so unique on this bird.


This birding event fit into the category of a life experience.  Maybe not as great as graduating from college, getting your first job, your first raise, or getting married and having children - but pretty darn memorable.  

No comments: