Sunday, February 15, 2015

Miriam's feeders: Fun with birds

On this, my second visit to Miriam's feeders (first visit here), I got to reflect a little on the larger importance of birding in Costa Rica.  This is a must stop for birders visiting the highlands.  Don't forget your camera!  

But, much more importantly, Miriam's modest restaurant reveals how important birding is to one woman's and her family's economy.  We've never had a meal here, but I'll bet the food is great.  You can just tell.

For birders it's the back deck along the length of the restaurant with birds coming to the feeders and to the bushes and trees with flowers and berries in the overgrown backyard.
   

Male Sooty Thrush (Turdus nigrescens) - you have to go to the highlands to see this bird. 


Female Sooty Thrush:  Alas, out-of-focus, but I love the bird with the berries.
  

Again


The ubiquitous Clay-colored Thrush (Turdus grayi) - the national bird of Costa Rica.


Acorn Woodpecker (Melanerpes formicivorus)


Long-tailed Silky-Flycatcher (Ptilogonys caudatus)


Male Flame-colored Tanager (Piranga bidentata)


Again


Immature male Flame-colored Tanager


Female Flame-colored Tanager


Above and below:  Volcano Hummingbird (Selasphorus flammula)



Above and below:  Yellow-thighed Finch (Pselliophorus tibialis).   Last year I did not get a good photo of this bird.  I love the yellow thigh puffs.  And this year, I got to see the pattern and distinction of the black and charcoal color of the bird and the large, clear black eye.



Female (above) and male Yellow-bellied Siskins (Spinus xanthogastrus)



Black-billed Nightingale-Thrush (Catharus gracilirostris)

 

We saw the charming Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla) often in Costa Rica, especially in the highlands, but Miriam's feeders offered photo ops that I'll never get in the states.



Mountain Elaenia (Elaenia frantzii)


Large-footed Finch (Pezopetes capitalis)


Oh my goodness - what hummingbird is this?  An immature Magnificent vs. ...?  Not sure, but I've been here before.  It's what happens when I'm taking photos and not paying attention to the bird.  Not good. 


Miriam's back deck and the switchover where one group departs and another arrives.


Miriam's - one of my favorite places of the trip.  Next time I also want to eat here.

No comments: