Sunday, February 21, 2016

Panama big birds


Collared Aracari (Pteroglossus torquatus) - this is a different photo of the same bird that I show in my first Panama post.  We saw the collared aracari several times, but never in situations where I would be able to improve on my hotel garden photos.


Above and below:  Chestnut-mandibled Toucan (Ramphastos swainsonii)


In the Panama field guide this bird is drawn as having an attractive red and white necklace where the yellow throat meets the black breast.  It seems that the photo above would be a good photo to reveal this.  A hint of red seems to show so perhaps the neck is pulled in so that the necklace is mostly hidden.  I found a few Google images where the necklace can be seen.


Above and below:  Daytime perched Common Potoo (Nyctibius griseus) in Pargue Natural Metropolitano.  The photo above was lightened up by in-camera enhancement software; the photo below is without any enhancements or edits except cropping. 



Keel-billed Toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus).  The video below is of the same bird vocalizing.  The other bird vocalizing, but not seen, in this video is the Chestnut-mandibled Toucan - I was told.  When I tried to confirm this with Xeno canto, I was surprised that it does not have chestnut-mandibled recordings.  Neither does MSU's AVoCet or Cornell's All About Birds sites.  I almost corrupted my computer by clicking on some MP3 recording.  Yikes!  Avoid this and only check reliable sources like Xeno canto.  I finally did confirm with this YouTube video taken in Costa Rica by a young couple who are not identified - so I cannot acknowledge them here - but it's a great video.



Fuzzy as it is, probably my best photo of the Keel-billed Toucan.  We saw them every day but they typically perched high or were seen flying over - quite a sight in itself.  Last year I saw only two keel-billed toucans in Costa Rica perched very high and far away through a spotting scope from the upper deck of Rancho Naturalista.  Panama offered a very different experience with this bird.      

No comments: