Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Streak-chested Antpitta

As  we were leaving Canopy tower, we got an excited heads-up from another guide that an antpitta was showing very well along one of the Pipeline Road trails.  The location was not far from the Discovery Center and we all hustled over to that trail.  

Others were there, some were just leaving and a couple were sitting down in the understory.   They knew our guide, Jose, because one with and American accent commented, "Jose's here.  I hear him whistling."  

There were, in fact, two Streak-chested Antpittas (Hylopezus perspicillatus).  One remained present only briefly, but the other stayed to give a show.   






Despite having heard antipittas vocalize from deep within the forest, I've only seen one other antpitta in my lifetime - a Bay Antipitta (Galleria capitalism) in Peru who hopped out on to the trail with an injured leg and was captured by our guide for all to see.  So I understood how special seeing this little bird was.   I was super pleased with my photographs and could have stopped there.  But when the bird was so cooperative I saw the opportunity to video.  Then I was thrilled.

One of our trip members commented that the only thing that would have made the experience better was to have found the bird on our own.  I agree, but it was great nevertheless.

No comments: