Sunday, January 15, 2017

Cedar Waxwings


While looking for the Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi) there was no shortage of Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum) flying around.  I took these photos after the T. solitaire disappeared from view (above) for the final time during my visit.  


For a brief period in the late afternoon the sky lightened and a hint of sun brightened up the junipers just as a flock of waxwings flew in.



My favorite photo.  I can't resist the chance for a photo opportunity of a bird with a berry in it's beak.


The photo above and the one below are each cropped images from a full photo that included three Cedar Waxwings.



Another great beauty - our American Robin (Turdus migratorius).


An active flock of chickadees (Poecile atricapillus) would occasionally have a nicely perched bird - briefly and in great light.  I missed all my chances.

My one chance for a photo of a Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus) was missed secondary to my distraction by the presence of the solitaire.

Eastern Bluebirds (Sialia sialis) were also around but no chances for photos.  It was a great January afternoon to be out and even though I didn't know any of the other birders looking for the Townsend's Solitaire our collective efforts paid off.     

No comments: