Friday, January 20, 2017

Belle Isle's silent mockingbird

Last Sunday morning was beautiful and sunny so I returned to Belle Isle to see if I could get better photos of the Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos). Some of its celebrity must have diminished.  I had this charming bird all to myself.  In an earlier post I described this as one of birding's golden moments. 


Still plenty of Amur honeysuckle on the bushes to nourish our bird.



The bird seemed to truly enjoy basking in the sun.



I followed the bird around to a couple of different spots.  It drank from the open water in that unpleasant little creek.  I couldn't get unhindered photos of it drinking, but later it flew up into the bare branches above the river.

Looking at these photos reminds me how much I miss a singing mockingbird.  We can look forward to this in the spring time.

No comments: