Sunday, April 15, 2018

Green bird

In a country with many green birds, this particular green bird stood out for me on this trip.   Though there was stiff competition, certainly they were amongst my favorite trip birds.   


First the female, above and three below.



Orange-breasted Fruiteater (Pipreola jacunda)



So happy was I to get these photographs, that I couldn't even delete the out-of-focus images.  We saw this bird at the Mashpi feeding station first high up and backlit against gray clouds.  I thought then that this is where the bird stays and we would not get photos.  But then these two presented themselves, feeding together, at just lower than eye level. Amongst the viney branches it was hard to focus, but the birds were cooperative enough that these 10 images finally came into view.







There must have been 15 or 20 cameras shuttering away at the fruiteaters.  Amongst the group was an Asian guy with a giant camera on a tripod.  He seemed imperturbable; whether it was just that morning or if he really was imperturbable, I don't know.  Most bird photographers, and I include myself here, are not.  Later on the trip, at another crowded feeding station, although I didn't see it myself, I nearly got bopped on the head by a photographer when I stood suddenly in front of him - I didn't know he was behind me - to get my own photo.  I digress.  On this morning, this photographer got a full, out-in-the-open photo of the male fruiteater with a red berry wedged in its beak.  It was a spectacular photo and he showed it around to anyone interested.  Earlier I had asked him if he was a professional photographer and he was quick to say he was a hobbyist.  Curiously, Rhoda recalled this same guy being present in Costa Rica near Savegre in 2015 where we had gone to see and, of course, photograph Resplendent Quetzels.  He was dressed the same way, in camouflage outfit, and his tripoded camera was huge.   

No comments: