Friday, June 16, 2017

Dickcissels

From Friday evening, not good photos but I was happy to get them. Mike O'Leary found a bunch of Dickcissels in the large and beautiful meadow at the corner of Rotunda and Southfield.  On my first visit I counted four singing males - mostly singing from within the grasses. This is the only singer that perched in the open.  





When leaving Friday evening, a Dickcissel flew from the field and landed on the faux brick wall surrounding the Ford test track.  As I drove by, I heard at least two birds singing from within the test track wall.

On Saturday morning early I went back for better light and a chance for better photos.  I did get eye-level photos but they were horribly pixelated.

Below:  I was able to get clearer video.


I don't think I have noticed before how pretty the back streaking is on Dickcissels.  


Undaunted, I went back again on Sunday morning.  From yesterday's count by others, it was estimated that there may be as many as fourteen birds.  Below, a pair were perched up together.  Still pixelated, but maybe slightly better.


Above and two below:  female Dickcissel.





Above and below:  male Dickcissel.


This is such a beautiful field.  Several years ago there were nesting Grasshopper Sparrows here.  Julie Craves alerted the field owners of the nesting Dickcissels and they were quick to put up Rare Bird nesting signs.  Please honor the words on the sign.  The birds I photographed are easy to see from the mown edge.  Also, there are no plans to mow the field until later this summer.  In this highly urbanized area, one day it will be developed, but for now we can enjoy the occasional special finds here.    

No comments: