Friday, April 15, 2022

Costa Rica trip rarity

If you check out the most recent Costa Rica bird guide you will find four little dots for this bird.


True enough - Lincoln's sparrow (Melospiza lincolnii).


A beauty and one of my favorite birds to see in Michigan.


We saw the Lincoln's sparrow on our final day during a lunch stop that I had been to on a prior trip.  The restaurant had been spiffed up but had maintained its wooden deck with hummingbird feeders set-up for photographers as well as casual sightseers.
  




I hope I don't get in trouble for copyright infringement.  I lifted the Lincoln's sparrow distribution map from The Cornell Lab All About Birds website.  Typically it does not winter as far south as Costa Rica. 


If you ever travel to Costa Rica for birding or for any reason, I recommend this place for a stopover.  As it happened our guide, Leonardo Otoyo, called out a flyover male Resplendent Quetzel from the restaurant's deck that many were able to see.   

 

No comments: