Friday, April 15, 2022

Favorite bird of the trip

On May 17th, 2020 I wrote "my final blog post and final blog photos."  I didn't know it at the time, but I was still over a year from retirement. Work was so busy.  The pandemic was raging.  Google had changed some features of Google Blogger which I did not have the time or patience to figure out.  I never did download all of my photos from India and never completed my India trip blog.  I wrote my little essay, added three photos of Green-billed Malkoha and threw in the towel.  

Even before, and in the time since, other friends have called it quits on their blogs as well.  Perhaps not as officially as I did, but some very good blogs are no longer active.  The pandemic was hard on a lot of things.  After calling it quits, I considered other platforms for my photos.  I recalled one of the participants on my India trip saying to me, with derision, "I never read blogs."  Facebook, Instagram, eBird, Flickr - all of my ideas in those directions never met the light of day. 

Of course, I haven't really had many photos to post.  Hopefully, this will change.  Costa Rica was my first out-of-country trip since the onset of the pandemic. I was so out of practice.  Even packing was a challenge. On the trip I kept losing things.  I couldn't find or see the birds.  I fumbled with my camera.  And, after all this time, here I am again using Google Blogger.  This time my goal will be fun. 

So, with fun in mind, my favorite trip bird - just because they were so cooperative and cute and a little crazy looking too - Common Tody-flycatcher (Todirostrum cinereum).



There was a pair.
 

Preening.




Very cooperative.

And nest building.



No comments: